inside the man

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

SETI@home milestone

Today, after having two computers devoting all of their spare cycles for few months, I have reached 10,000 workunit credits. Now these credits are not redeemable for alien technology, they are merely a measure of the amount of SETI@home data analysis that my hardware has completed. This is not a particularly impressive volume. The top producers on the project contribute well over 1000 workunits daily, and the total number of workunits processed over the life of the SETI@home project is now over 2.5 billion. However, I ask myself, why am I doing this? Have I made the world a better place? I certainly have not found any space bugs yet, but neither has anyone else. Would I be better off donating my spare cycles to another grid computing project? (By the way, check out this great BIONC stats page.)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Returned to working as a Management Consultant, specializing in risk, security, and regulatory compliance, with Fujitsu Canada after running the IT shop in the largest library in the South Pacific.

CC Developing Nations
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Developing Nations license.

Site Meter