I want to copy my CDs!
One does not normally see Michael Geist advocating the adoption of US copyright policy in Canada, but here is one small case where I could not agree more emphatically that the Americans have it right:
"However, given the opposition to the levy system, the better alternative might be to simply drop it completely. In its place, Canada could adopt a 'fair use' provision that would allow consumers to copy their own CD collection onto another device along with the elimination of statutory damages provisions for such copying cases. The fair use approach would match the U.S. model, where the recording industry has acknowledged that consumers have the right to copy their own CDs without reference to a private copying levy (and which CRIA seemed to acknowledge in its pledge yesterday)."
inside the man
- ► 2006 (28)
- The death of the bar code? Slashdot decries the...
- Once again, coffee is good Slashdot bring to ou...
- There has been a lot of discussion recently about ...
- Swedish library loans humans to combat intolerance...
- Are CBC's IT staff on strike?
- Jon Boley authored a thought provoking peace encom...
- Telus, Telus, Telus, sigh... Need I add any com...
- I want to copy my CDs! One does not normally se...
- ▼ August (8)
- ► 2004 (129)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Developing Nations license.