Swedish library loans humans to combat intolerance
"A Swedish library, realizing that books are not the only things being judged by their covers, will give visitors a different opportunity this weekend - to borrow a Muslim, a lesbian, or a Dane."
Scandinavian libraries have developed a creative program to combat prejudice. The latest incarnation lets patrons of the Malmo city library book a brief conversation with members of various religions, nationalities, professions, and even sexual orientations. Programs like this recognize that public libraries have a role to play in communities that goes beyond merely providing access to their internal and virtual collections. A natural extension of the public library ethos of intellectual freedom is the promotion of the realities of the new pluralism.
inside the man
- ► 2006 (28)
- The death of the bar code? Slashdot decries the...
- Once again, coffee is good Slashdot bring to ou...
- There has been a lot of discussion recently about ...
- Swedish library loans humans to combat intolerance...
- Are CBC's IT staff on strike?
- Jon Boley authored a thought provoking peace encom...
- Telus, Telus, Telus, sigh... Need I add any com...
- I want to copy my CDs! One does not normally se...
- ▼ August (8)
- ► 2004 (129)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Developing Nations license.