inside the man

Monday, December 12, 2005

SANS Hacker Techniques report

I just completed day one of the much lauded SANS 504 Hacker Techniques, Exploits and Incident Handling course at SANS Toronto 2005. I will be providing daily reports here but for tonight I must retire early as my Sunday evening flight was a little more harrowing than anticipated. I will elaborate further tomorrow, but here is a summary of my experience so far.

Air Canada flight 178 from Edmonton to Toronto on Sunday, December 11, 2005. Man in seat 12D nearly dies in flight. I was sitting in 13D. I can confirm that it is not only in movies that flight attendants pick up the intercom and say, "If there is a medical doctor on the plane, please identify yourself to the flight crew."

SANS 504.1: Incident Handling. It was a somewhat dry day spent pouring over standard incident handling procedures and example scenarios. It was disappointing that an expensive session such as this could not cover Canadian legal material.

Again, more on today and yesterday, and tomorrow, tomorrow. Did that make sense?

Tags:

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Returned to working as a Management Consultant, specializing in risk, security, and regulatory compliance, with Fujitsu Canada after running the IT shop in the largest library in the South Pacific.

CC Developing Nations
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Developing Nations license.

Site Meter