Go vs. chess as applied to real-world military strategy
The American Go Association's ejournal reports on Seymour Hersh's comments concerning the Iraqi resistance, "As somebody said, 'We're playing chess and their playing Go.' " Also referenced were a book and a paper exploring the influence of go on Chinese military strategy:
The Protracted Game: A Wei-Chi Interpretation of Maoist Revolutionary Strategy by Scott Boorman.
Learning From the Stones: A Go Approach to Mastering China's Strategic Concept, Shi by David Lee
This reminded me of a couple of comments in Peter Shotwell's book, Go: More than a Game. Shotwell believes that Boorman's thesis attributing elements of Mao's military strategy to the influence of go is flawed. Rather, Shotwell concludes that both go and Mao are influenced by the same ancient Chinese military and hunting concepts.
A few online Shotwell papers can be found in the Bob High Memorial Library.
inside the man
- ► 2006 (28)
- ► 2005 (228)
- Did Ozzie and Harriet play go? The American...
- Go vs. chess as applied to real-world military str...
- Cetacean community thwarted A US court has thro...
- Google Desktop privacy branded 'unacceptable' T...
- FDA approves RFID implants for humans Ars techn...
- A go OS? I was surprised to read the following ...
- ▼ October (6)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Developing Nations license.